By: Rachael David, Director of PR
You’ve seen us, you’ve heard about us and now you’re checking out our latest blog post. So what’s holding you back from joining the Penn State Chapter of PRSSA?
In case you need any more convincing, allow us to share with
you eight solid reasons as to why you should become a part of
PRSSA this year.
- Be affiliated with a national organization – The Public Relations Student Society of America operates under its parent organization, the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA). Known as the world’s largest and foremost organization of public relations professionals, PRSA fosters a community of more than 22,000 public relations and communications professionals across the United States, from recent college graduates to the leaders of the world’s largest multinational firms.
- Connections, connections, connections – With more than 11,000 students and advisers organized into more than 300 chapters across the globe, saying the PRSSA network is massive would be an understatement. In addition to the thousands of current members, the alumni and former members of PRSSA are everywhere, holding job titles and working for companies current PR students could only dream of. This is your opportunity to connect with some of the most successful and prominent professionals in the business. Who could say no to that?
- Impress your future employers – With a national reputation and members from across the globe, there’s a very good chance your future employer is going to know about PRSSA. This will give you the chance to not only discuss your involvement during job interviews, but also demonstrate how the skills you learned will be able to benefit you in your future career.
- Learn things you won’t learn in the classroom – As much as we love our classes, there are certain skills that just can’t be taught to a lecture hall of students. Those vital, hands-on skills that employers are looking for are most often discovered outside of the classroom. Luckily, the workshops, conferences and guest speakers available to PRSSA members are specifically designed to enhance these skills and instill the type of confidence future PR professionals need to take on the real world once they graduate.
- Apply for national scholarships – Available yearlong on the PRSSA website are a wealth of scholarship opportunities distributed exclusively to PRSSA members. Each year more than $30,000 in scholarships and awards is presented to members and chapters who exhibit outstanding merit in public relations. We all know a PR degree at Penn State is no cheap expense and becoming a member of PRSSA will offer you a network of support on your path to becoming a PR professional.
- Become a published writer –We already know you love reading our weekly blog posts, but how would you like to actually write one? By becoming a member of our chapter, you’ll get the opportunity to write blog posts for our website and have your writing published and promoted across our multiple social media platforms for your friends, family and future employers to see.
- Meet our THON family – If you don’t already know, in addition to being an official chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America, we are also a registered organization of the Penn State Dance Marathon and raise money year-round for the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. This also means we have the privilege of supporting our very own THON family known as the Whiteheads. Emily “Emma” Whitehead is a 9-year-old cancer-battling superstar who enrolled in a phase I clinical trial at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in 2012 and became the first pediatric patient to receive genetically modified T-cells to help fight leukemia. Along with her amazing parents, Tom and Kari, Emma serves as our organization’s official THON child, who our members get the chance to interact and attend fun events with throughout the year.
- Hang out with awesome people – Not to toot our own horn, but the members of our chapter are some of the most passionate and friendliest people you will meet during your time here. Not only do we enjoy hanging out with one another both in and outside our weekly meetings, but we also genuinely care about our futures and strive to help each other accomplish career goals through advice, networking and recommendations.
Ready to take the plunge? Check out our membership page to find out how you can get involved!